From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vala.eclass: change vala_src_prepare behavior when USE=-vala
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:56:41
1 El jue, 20-09-2012 a las 09:13 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius escribió:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 20/09/12 03:41 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
6 > > On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:43:11 +0200 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
7 > > wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> El jue, 20-09-2012 a las 02:14 -0400, Alexandre Rostovtsev
10 > >> escribió:
11 > >>> Revised to use a separate variable for the name of the flag
12 > >>> instead of reading IUSE, as suggested by Ciaran McCreesh. As a
13 > >>> result of this change, vala.eclass now defaults to assuming
14 > >>> that vala support is optional (which is the case in an
15 > >>> overwhelming majority of ebuilds that would want to use this
16 > >>> eclass).
17 > >>
18 > >> Sorry but, why even in_iuse function from eutils.eclass cannot
19 > >> be used? If that is really not allowed, why we have that function
20 > >> in eutils.eclass?
21 > >>
22 > >> There are lots of cases in eclasses relying on things like
23 > >> original suggested way or in_iuse from eutils.eclass and would
24 > >> like to clarify things before going with a more complex way than
25 > >> original.
26 > >>
27 > >> I already know Ciaran's opinion on this, but would like to know
28 > >> more opinion and, most important, is this is really allowed or
29 > >> not and, if not, we should try to migrate current eclasses to the
30 > >> "fixed" way if there is really a way providing similar function.
31 > >
32 > > Well, it works and people use it, so it's better to keep a good
33 > > function rather than rely on people remembering to handle all
34 > > stripping and splitting correctly.
35 > >
36 > > I wanted to propose fixing PMS but, as you can see, there are
37 > > mysterious broken systems which nobody has ever seen but surely
38 > > exist somewhere and Ciaran won't waste his time telling us where in
39 > > his imagination it is, and thus we can't simply fix it.
42 > PMS may not need to be fixed, just the spec -- ie, (if I'm
43 > understanding Ciaran properly), as long as the spec says that the
44 > effective IUSE (or other globals) is available for access (via
45 > function getter or however) during phase functions, then PMS will have
46 > to guarantee it to be there. Right now they don't, and so even if it
47 > works we can't rely on it working because said functionality might
48 > break in the course of regular portage/other PMS development (and
49 > doesn't need to be fixed because to date it's not in the spec).
52 That isn't necessary what could occur if the behavior changes
53 unexpectedly: as current behavior is already being assumed in
54 eclasses/ebuilds, portage couldn't change it without, before, porting
55 ebuilds/eclasses to use that new hypothetical behavior.