From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:06:04
1 On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 21:05 +0200, Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag, 16. Mai 2006 20:35 schrieb Gustavo Zacarias:
3 > > Stephen Bennett wrote:
4 > > > That's my proposal. The benefits I like to think are obvious. The
5 > > > drawbacks are, as far as I can see, in tree size, which should be
6 > > > minimal. Those concerned about local tree size can exclude it, and
7 > > > for size on the mirrors it's trivial compared to the rest of the
8 > > > tree.
9 > > >
10 > > > Comments?
11 > >
12 > > As long as it's outside the "stable" (200x.y) portage profiles i'm
13 > > fine with it for SPARC. I think Ferris was testing paludis so i'm
14 > > sure he can handle it.
15 > > With respect to the "hey support omg!" comments i say stick a big fat
16 > > README about being an experimental profile or something like that and
17 > > that's it. Usually bug reports require "emerge --info" so it'll be
18 > > easy to flag invalid ones anyway.
19 >
20 > [Disclaimer: I'm involved in paludis development and may be biased]
21 > I talked with the other AMD64 leads about adding a paludis subprofile to
22 > default-linux/amd64. Blubb said he'd rather have a global profile,
23 > Kingtaco state to be neutral in regard to adding another amd64
24 > subprofile. I'd rather have a global profile, too.
25 >
26 > Summary: amd64 team can live with a paludis profile, we prefer to have a
27 > global profile, though.
30 > PS:
31 > As a sidenote to people who test or play with paludis and find packages
32 > that don't compile/install: Please don't file bugs with gentoo. Come to
33 > #paludis and discuss with us. If we tell you to do so, file bugs with
34 > paludis@×××××××.de. We are really interested to know which packages
35 > don't work.
36
37 (Wearing my Release Engineering hat): I implore anyone planning on
38 adding something like this to keep it *outside* of default-linux. A
39 paludis/* set of profiles, much like hardened or uclibc, would be the
40 best approach for this, if it ends up being accepted.
43 Chris Gianelloni
44 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
45 x86 Architecture Team
46 Games - Developer