From: Craig Joly <craig@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] eth0 died after emerge binutils
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 21:41:07
1 Hi,
2 I'm having a big problem and can't get any help on IRC.
3 emerge rsync
4 emerge --pretend --update system
5 Only one thing to upgrade - binutils to 2.13.90.0.18.
6 emerge --update system
7 Emerge went fine.
8 emerge --pretend --update world
9 emerge --update world
10 Dies with host not found. I realize there's no network connection.
11 ifconfig shows eth0 with the inet addr line missing.
12 /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
13 It shuts down and won't restart.
14 dmesg shows "eth0: 0 multicast blocks dropped" every time I try to
15 start the network.
16
17 Our network uses dhcpcd if that gives any useful information.
18 I can't see why binutils is affecting the network but it seems to be.
19 I can't downgrade to a previous binutils because I cleared out
20 /usr/portage/distfiles since the last time it was upgraded and I don't
21 have a working network connection.
22
23 Any help that does not involve re-installing Gentoo would be greatly
24 appreciated.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Craig Joly