From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Decoupling stabilization from security bugs
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:23:14
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 14:53:33 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
4
5 >Hello, everyone.
6 >
7 >TL;DR: I'd like to propose that stabilizations are done via blockers of
8 >security bugs instead of security bugs themselves, i.e. as any other
9 >stabilizations.
12 >Right now we're often performing security-related stabilizations via
13 >security bugs. This has a few problems, that are:
14 >
15 >1. Stabilization-related activity causes unnecessary mail to the widely
16 >subscribed security alias. That is, subscribed people get notified of
17 >package list changes, NATTkA results, every arch doing its work.
18 >However, in reality the security team only cares about stabilization
19 >being started, stalled or finished -- and for that, getting the usual
20 >'dependent bug added/closed' mail should be sufficient.
21 >
22 >2. NATTkA has no good way of distinguishing irrelevant security bugs
23 >from security bugs where something went wrong (and NATTkA doesn't use
24 >persistent state by design). The most important problem is that --
25 >unlike regular stablereqs -- security bugs aren't supposed to be closed
26 >after stabilization. It can't really distinguish a security bug 'left
27 >open' from a security bug with incorrect package list.
28 >
29 >3. Proxied maintainers without editbugs can't actually CC arches on
30 >security bugs since the bugs are assigned to security@.
33 >To resolve these problems going forward and establish consistent
34 >behavior in the future, I'd like to propose to disable 'package list'
35 >fields on security bugs and instead expect regular stabilization bugs
36 >to be used (and made block the security bugs) for stabilizations.
37 >While I understand that filing additional bugs might be cumbersome for
38 >some people, I don't think it's such a herculean effort to outweigh
39 >the problems solved.
40
41 Indeed, filing stablereq bugs is not really that big of a deal.
42
43 >In the end, consistency is a good thing and we've introduced a
44 >dedicated stabilization category to reduce the spread of stabilization
45 >bugs all around the place.
46 >
47 >WDYT?
50 I like this proposal and fully support it. Thanks for bringing it up.
51
52 Cheers
53 --
54 Lars Wendler
55 Gentoo package maintainer
56 GPG: 21CC CF02 4586 0A07 ED93 9F68 498F E765 960E 9B39