From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage to die on sure-enough _FORTIFY_SOURCE overflows
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 02:26:40
1 On Tuesday, September 28, 2010 20:33:52 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:43:28 +0200 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 > > since the last time I asked Zac about this it came back to bite me[1]
4 > > this time I'm going to send the announce to the list first, and if
5 > > nobody can actually come up with a good reason not to, I'm going to ask
6 > > Zac tomorrow to re-enable the feature.
7 >
8 > "Tomorrow" isn't much of a warning. Can you please give people a chance to
9 > fix the bugs you've filed?
10 >
11 > Something I forgot to ask before: are the 'always overflow' warnings new
12 > w/ GCC 4.5 / glibc 2.12? If they're new w/ 4.5 then we don't have a
13 > problem.
14
15 the fortify warnings typically come from glibc, not gcc. i dont believe many
16 of these warnings are new. the portage update i posted was because i was
17 reviewing a specific package, noticed a worrisome warning (and fixed it), and
18 then proceeded to data mine the last years worth of build logs on my system
19 for gcc warnings.
20 -mike