From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cmake + ninja vs autotools
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:29:16
1 On 11/15/2017 10:27 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > It maybe worth considering switching the default generator in the
3 > cmake-utils.eclass from the default of emake to ninja.
4 >
5 > - : ${CMAKE_MAKEFILE_GENERATOR:=emake}
6 > + : ${CMAKE_MAKEFILE_GENERATOR:=ninja}
7 >
8 > For those with cmake ebuilds you can test this out now via
9 >
10 > CMAKE_MAKEFILE_GENERATOR="ninja"
11 > inherit cmake-utils
12 >
13 > Working with both cmake and meson. It seems the real performance of
14 > meson comes from ninja. I am a bit more a fan of cmake than meson for
15 > cpack, generation of deb, rpm, and binary tarball, in addition to
16 > sources. That can be done with meson but not as elegantly at this time.
17 >
18 > ninja is noticeably faster than make. I haven't seen any cases yet where
19 > cmake autotools works, and ninja does not. They seem pretty equal, so
20 > should be safe. Of course could use testing first.
21
22 There are still cases where ninja fails...
23
24 I have forcefully set emake in dev-db/{mysql,mysql-cluster} because they
25 fail to build with ninja (using the cmake generator) yet emake works
26 just fine.
27
28 Brian