From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Project Sunrise -- Proposal
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 13:50:25
1 On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 07:33:19 -0400
2 Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:37:15 +0200, Markus Ullmann wrote:
5 >
6 > > 1) m-w / m-n requirement
7 > >
8 > > Only ebuilds that are reported to bugzie (valid bug#) and set to
9 > > maintainer-wanted are allowed here as well as maintainer-needed
10 > > ones.
11 > >
12 > > maintainer-needed are only allowed if they're removed from the tree
13 > > and moved over to sunrise (and thus end up as maintainer-wanted
14 > > again).
17 > Um, there are numerous "new" not-in-portage-tree ebuilds submitted to
18 > bz which have been assigned to teams. However, they may still
19 > languish. They were assigned by the wranglers, and not improperly.
20 > Yet, for many reasons, the bugs wait. So, will there be a mechanism
21 > for a contributor to get an ebuild uploaded to sunrise in this
22 > circumstance?
23
24 What those bugs are waiting for is a dev to step up and agree to
25 maintain it. I don't see how sunrise improves that situation. The
26 only way such a bug will be resolved if no dev is interested, is if
27 someone who wants the package in the tree decides to become a dev - and
28 that means demonstrating technical ability, and sticking around (not
29 just dumping it in the tree then disappearing - in which case the
30 package would likely get removed after a while anyway due to lack of
31 maintenance).
32
33 > I would also suggest having some sort of review process for inclusion
34 > of m-n/m-w bugs. Some may not have any relevance (i.e. the program is
35 > no longer supported, or the upstream project has been incorporated
36 > into a new one, or the version of dated). Doing a blanket import of
37 > m-w bugs could make quite a mess of things IMO.
38 >
39 > One of the terrific benefits of sunrise will be the cleaning out of
40 > bugzilla. Nuking open bugs is an especially satisfying experience!
41
42 Sorry, I don't buy that. Having m-w/m-n packages in the sunrise
43 overlay cannot be sufficient to close the bugs in bugzilla. The bugs
44 get closed when the package gets maintenance support from a dev and is
45 put into the tree. Sunrise doesn't do anything to make that more
46 likely.
47
48 I also don't think that having large numbers of bugs open in bugzilla
49 is a problem. The search facilities are quite capable of giving you
50 focused lists of open bugs. If you don't want to see the bugs about
51 m-w/m-n ebuilds, filter them out of your search.
52
53 > Lastly, what about user contributions? Will users require some kind of
54 > sponsorship in order to have their ebuilds posted? What will the
55 > procedure be (or did I miss it in one of the hundreds of emails)?
56
57 This reflects back on the primary objection to sunrise on gentoo.org.
58 Your question is essentially, "who will take responsibility for it and
59 put it in the tree?". Sunrise might help in getting ebuilds to a decent
60 standard, and it might help some users to contribute, but it won't help
61 if no dev wants to take on maintainership of the package. That last
62 point is the only reason why m-w/m-n packages are not in the tree.
65 Kevin F. Quinn