From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 21:26:47
1 On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 21:09 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:02:09 -0500
3 > Olivier Crête <tester@g.o> wrote:
4 > > On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 20:08 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 13:30:24 -0600
6 > > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > > > Or will /etc move to /usr too?
8 > > > >
9 > > > > No, /etc isn't going anywhere.
10 > > >
11 > > > Are you sure? I heard a rumour that systemd will soon require you to
12 > > > put /etc inside your initrd (since / can't be mounted without it).
13 > > > Obviously, you'd have to reboot if you made any changes to your
14 > > > config files, but that's OK since you can't safely restart daemons
15 > > > anyway.
16 > >
17 > > Dude, the systemd people are not crazy. You should try to understand
18 > > what they do before criticizing.
19 >
20 > I don't claim they're crazy. I claim they're sacrificing functionality,
21 > correctness, loose coupling, simplicity, well defined behaviour,
22 > understandability and stability in order to implement questionable new
23 > shiny things.
24
25 The only thing I see them sacrificing is loose coupling, they provide
26 more functionality than any other init system, more correctness
27 (seriously, did you ever read most init scripts out there?), more well
28 defined behavior (all systemd systems boot exactly the same), more
29 stability (I'll claim that Lennart's C is better than any of the
30 boot-time shell scripts I've seen) and well understandability depends
31 who much you can understand C. Probably a bit less understandable for
32 sysadmins, but since they can just play with config files, it's probably
33 easier to understand in the end (and much less prone to breaking than
34 mucking around shell scripts).
37 Olivier Crête
38 tester@g.o
39 Gentoo Developer