From: m1027 <m1027@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LTS or: proper backward compatibility?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 23:31:24
1 sam:
2
3 > > On 2 Jan 2023, at 12:48, m1027 <m1027@××××××.net> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Hi and happy new year.
6 > >
7 > > When we create apps on Gentoo they become easily incompatible for
8 > > older Gentoo systems in production where unattended remote world
9 > > updates are risky. This is due to new glibc, openssl-3 etc.
10
11 [...]
12
13 > I'd really suggest just using stable in production and a mix
14 > for developers so you can catch any problems beforehand.
15 >
16 > We try to be quite conservative about things like OpenSSL 3,
17 > glibc updates, etc.
18
19 Thanks, a misunderstanding then: I am talking about stable only.
20
21 Whilst Gentoo may be conservative and all of you do an excellent job
22 on keeping things smooth, incompatibilities of software being newly
23 created on up-to-date developer systems (and then tried to be
24 distributed to outdated production systems) may arise multiple times
25 per year; *any* of the following alone may trigger a incompatibility.
26
27 Just some random examples:
28
29 (1) Most prominent, glibc updates. It has its sophisticated function
30 versioning. You may or may not be hit. It is not depending on
31 glibc's version but the internal function versions which are updated
32 in a quite subtile way. (Function versioning is without doubt an
33 impressive feature.)
34
35 (2) libjpeg: In the past, libjpeg reached version 9 (like on Ubuntu
36 today) but later was versioned 62 or 6.2 AFAIK. If you have an old
37 Gentoo production system still on libjpeg-9, you have a hard time to
38 update and distribute a new version of your app, as this version of
39 libjpeg is not present in Gentoo anymore. (Don't get me wrong, there
40 have probably been good reasons for this downgrade.) BTW: This
41 little incompatibility is one of the reasons why it is hard to
42 compile a app on Ubuntu for Gentoo.
43
44 (3) An older one: libressl was removed. Well, we all remember the
45 debate whether to keep it or not.
46
47 (4) There is openssl-3 showing up on the horizon. I expect
48 incompatibilities when distributing newly built software.
49
50 (5) Portage EAPIs: If there is a new EAPI and you emerge --sync,
51 then you need to update portage. This however, might require
52 surprisingly many other updates. New python, setuptools and friends.
53
54 I am not complaining here. Hey, we are on rolling release. Some of
55 you may even know individual solutions to work around each of it.
56 However, we just may get into trouble when distributing newly
57 compiled apps (on new Gentoo systems) to older Gentoo systems. And
58 we don't know in advance. I am looking for the best way to avoid
59 that.
60
61 Thanks