From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:48:26
1 On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 09:01 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > * There's nothing in this policy about end users. If this QA team is
4 > not *focused* on delivering benefit to end users, then (as has
5 > happened this week) it becomes a self-serving team, focused instead on
6 > what can only be described as a destructive path. No-one benefits
7 > from that, no-one at all.
8 >
9 > * The QA team is asking for more than it needs to perform its role.
10 > The UNIX principle is that of "least privilege". Donnie's already
11 > pointed out that FreeBSD is able to conduct effective QA without the
12 > extra power that the QA team is continuing to ask for.
13 So I see two scenarios for that:
14 - A QA team with a purely advisory function, helping with communication.
15 pro: no big policy changes etc.
16 con: teethless QA may get ignored
17
18 - A QA team with limited executive power, fixing bugs as they are found
19 pro: fast turnaround times on bugs
20 con: resistance from developers
21
22 The second approach needs to be carefully implemented, people need to
23 have trust in the QA team to empower them.
24
25 > * There is no proposal for a process to formulate, and gain wide
26 > approval for new QA standards. This week, there's been an example of
27 > the QA team documenting a QA standard *after* a bug was raised about a
28 > QA violation ... and then that document being used as if that
29 > particular QA standard had always been in the document.
30 Communications issue. This thread should help fix the policies for that I hope.
31
32 > Mistakes will always be made by all developers, and good QA is
33 > essential to Gentoo's future. We need a good QA team for Gentoo. Not
34 > having a QA team is, in my eyes, not an option at all.
35 Fully agreed.
36 > But, as this week has shown, QA members are also developers (and
37 > human), and are just as capable of making mistakes as anyone else.
38 Obviously :-)
39 > We need a quality assurance team that conducts all its activities in a
40 > quality manner. I'm not just talking about personal behaviour, or of
41 > any one individual. The way *everything* is done must be in a quality
42 > manner. That should mean a high quality process for creating QA
43 > standards, having them approved, and making sure developers know what
44 > changes are coming and when. That should mean high quality automated
45 > tools that cope with the real world, not some ivory tower that has no
46 > real pay-off for users. It should mean an interpretation and
47 > application of QA standards that is focused on how it improves matters
48 > for real users - and not a "tick in a box" QA approach. It should
49 > mean a team of educators, not a team out to bully with the mandate to
50 > do so.
51 That sounds like a mission statement and should be part of QA policy
52
53 > In twelve years of being a professional software engineer, I've never
54 > seen a successful QA team that didn't match that description above.
55 >
56 > Mark, in the discussions about the QA policy, your fallback
57 > justification always seems to be "Trust us". I think this week's
58 > events have put a big dent in the credibility of that argument, if not
59 > holed it below the water line. If the QA team followed processes
60 > similar to what I've described above, I believe that this week's
61 > events wouldn't have happened. What started off as a worthy piece of
62 > QA work, which I'm sure has fixed many real problems for users,
63 > degenerated into something altogether unpleasant and unnecessary for
64 > all involved. We've all gotten a week older and a week greyer out of
65 > this. Have we fixed any real problems that stop our users installing
66 > and running Gentoo? No, we haven't. I hope we can all (and I include
67 > myself in that) learn something from this to prevent a repeat.
68 >
69 > I call for Mark's proposed policy to be rejected as it stands.
70 I'd like to see it extended with the ideas shown in this thread. Also
71 the QA team should consider ways of getting higher acceptance - I
72 suggest that a general vote should be done, that's about as democratic
73 as we can get and noone can weasel put after that (although I'm open for
74 other processes to give the QA team support)
75
76 Patrick
77 --
78 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move