From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 18:46:41
1 On E, 2010-03-01 at 13:40 -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 03/01/2010 01:24 PM, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 > > For some reason beyond my understanding, we have the cups useflag
4 > > enabled by default in profiles. This has started to generate circular
5 > > dependencies, at least for desktop profile users (gtk -> cups ->
6 > > poppler -> gtk). I propose we no longer enable the cups useflag.
7 >
8 > If you don't want to disable the cups flag globally, you might
9 > choose to disable for gtk+ by default in profiles/base/package.use
10 > like this:
11 >
12 > x11-libs/gtk+ -cups
13 >
14 > That can be overridden by user's USE=cups setting in make.conf, so
15 > the only effect would be to break the circular dependency by default.
16
17 I don't think there was any such problem until poppler maintainers
18 decided to unsplit poppler into one big packages with USE flags again
19 instead of the nice split poppler, poppler-glib (that should have been
20 named poppler-cairo probably instead), poppler-qt3, poppler-qt4 and
21 poppler-utils.
22 I don't believe we should selectively cripple one GUI toolkit with not
23 having proper printing support out of the box on a desktop profile,
24 while others do, just because maintainers are lazy.
28 Mart Raudsepp
29 Gentoo Developer
30 Mail: leio@g.o
31 Weblog: http://blogs.gentoo.org/leio