From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ferringb@×××××.com, gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:48:55
1 On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 02:24:26 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:25:51AM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
5 > > > test depends: to specifically mark those dependencies that are
6 > > > only needed for when the pkg is being tested; effectively
7 > > > ephemeral build/run time depends that go away once testing is
8 > > > completed.
9 > >
10 > > Does that mean that USE=test is going away somehow?
11 >
12 > If you think it through, a test use flag still is needed in the cases
13 > where the rdep itself would change if test was enabled; such a source
14 > is fairy rare, but not always just someone being moronic- certain
15 > cases to do testing, the tests need to reach in fairly deeply and
16 > recompilation for compile vs test isn't exposed.
17
18 Yes, and sometimes we're doing 'use test'. I simply don't see how
19 adding a separate group of dependencies just for 'test' phase is going
20 to help us. They fit just fine into build-time dependencies right now.
21
22 > > A quick
23 > > glance shows that what you have expanded there, a fairly reasonable
24 > > Gentoo dev will solve using:
25 > >
26 > > RDEPEND="[common depends]"
27 > > DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
28 > > [build only depends]"
29 >
30 > from diffball (under current EAPIs)
31 >
32 > """
33 > RDEPEND=">=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4
34 > >=app-arch/bzip2-1.0.2
35 > app-arch/xz-utils"
36 > DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
37 > virtual/pkgconfig"
38 > """
39 >
40 > becomes the following under the proposal:
41 >
42 > """
43 > DEPENDENCIES=">=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4
44 > >=app-arch/bzip2-1.0.2
45 > app-arch/xz-utils"
46 > dep:build? ( virtual/pkgconfig )"
47 > """
48
49 Err, shouldn't the first three deps be namespaced?
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny