From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-apps is too big
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:34:05
1 On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:21:05 +1000 Stuart Longland
2 <stuartl@××××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 | Yes... but in the "core utility role" what does sed and ed do? Edit
4 | files & streams. They are scripted editors -- and should be
5 | recognised as such.
6
7 Actually, ed is used by patch and sed is used to extract patterns from
8 other commands' output. So, I'd say their primary use is core system
9 rather than editing. I mean, if you go by what *can* be done, coreutils
10 would end up in app-editors too.
13 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
14 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
15 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm