From: Sven Wegener <swegener@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EBUILD_FORMAT support
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 00:22:20
1 Hi all!
2
3 We would like to introduce a new ebuild variable named EBUILD_FORMAT,
4 that tags the ebuild with a specific ebuild API version it provides or
5 uses. ebuilds will get an automatic dependency on a version of portage
6 that is required for the used API to work correctly. The mapping between
7 API and portage versions will be distributed with our portage tree.
8
9 There are some major ebuild API changes being discussed. These changes
10 need backward compatibility and the information from EBUILD_FORMAT can
11 be used to provide backward compatiblity in an easy way. It can be used
12 for the src_configure[1] support and it might as well be used to get
13 backward compatibility for the RDEPEND=DEPEND[2] changes.
14
15 Cheers,
16 Sven
17