From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Remove USE="v4l2" and rename the consumers to plain USE="v4l"?
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 01:37:43
1 Samuli Suominen posted on Tue, 17 May 2011 03:48:23 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > First of all, it's disappointing how little the packages in the
4 > linux-headers-2.6.38 tracker[1] intrest people.
5 >
6 > [1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/359595
7
8 Indeed. I finally decided to try to get the netbook's webcam running the
9 other day. With kernel 2.6.38's lack of v4l1, it's a serious webcam
10 package wasteland out there! (luvcview, hasciicam... that was about it.)
11 =:^(
12
13 luvcview demonstrated that it was working, tho, and it was quite apparent
14 I had to wait for the 2.6.38 stabilization to take care of the others
15 before I tried them. But /how/ long has this removal been in progress and
16 the apps are /still/ dependent on videodev.h? Disappointing, to say the
17 least. Guess dealing with it's unavoidable, now.
18
19 > Planning on masking some of the low hanging fruits from the tracker.
20 >
21 > And after the bugs are mostly (or all) dealt with, I suggest we remove
22 > USE="v4l2" and make USE="v4l" mean:
23 >
24 > "Enable support for video4linux (with or without userspace library
25 > libv4l)"
26 >
27 > And rename the pkgs using USE="v4l2" to USE="v4l". Since there will be
28 > only video4linux version 2, using libv4l or without (or possibly using
29 > libv4l compability layer for libv4l1). But no more straight up version
30 > 1 support since videodev.h is gone since Linux 2.6.38
31
32 ++
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman