From: Allen Parker <allenp@×××.org>
To: 'Jon Portnoy' <avenj@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 07:37:00
1 > On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:05:45PM -0800, Robert Cole wrote:
2 > > I would like to start creating ebuilds for products and maintaining them
3 > but
4 > > I'm a little concerned that my contributions won't be accepted. Will I
5 > be
6 > > wasting my time asking to be a maintainer for a couple of ebuilds I
7 > create
8 > > and get them in the tree?
11 > Generally, when someone asks, my response is an automatic no.
12 >
13 > Prove yourself and you'll be picked up as a dev.
14 Sorry, this seems a bit elitist. :(
15 >
16 > --
17 > Jon Portnoy
18 > avenj/irc.freenode.net
19
20 Avenj, as I recently was interested in submitting ebuilds myself. Could we
21 possibly come up with a quick and easy system for devs to pop in, check a
22 list of submitted ebuilds, grab ones that look interesting to them, test to
23 see if they build/self-destruct, mark them as ~ARCH (for ARCH they can test
24 on), either clear the initial listing and slap them into the tree or kick it
25 back to the user?
26
27 Personally, I found it to be a pain in the rear to see 1 1/2 yr old ebuilds
28 relating to the packages I was developing ebuilds for in bugzilla, yet with
29 information so stale as to be stinking the place up. I think that there are
30 a lot of things that could be offered to Gentoo users without too much
31 hassle by other Gentoo users as long as dev says "ok, that sounds fun." I
32 mean, I got passed back and forth from hardened to general and back a few
33 times and it was all because the devs reviewing my bug(s) didn't understand
34 the packages.
35
36 I may not know C/C++ very well (minimal understanding at most), so I
37 wouldn't be able to "fix" something that was broken via diff, but I sure as
38 heck have the computing power to do 100s of compiles :-D and thoroughly test
39 certain things before I put them live on my OWN production machines.
40 Basically, I'm not a programmer, but I can *still* write a darned good
41 ebuild with the proper help (thx Spyderous, obz and others in #gentoo-dev).
42 Simply because I can't program, I can't be a dev... does that mean I can't
43 do thorough package mangling/testing? Not really... In fact, I've been told,
44 that with most things, if anyone can break it, I can :-D
45
46 Basically, I just find that the entire ebuild submission process could
47 definitely be streamlined as to take less dev time and be more rewarding for
48 the users actually doing the submissions. Including having user response
49 saying, "hey, so and so just bumped package-x.y.y to package-x.y.z and it
50 builds fine with a renamed and digested ebuild."
51
52 That's my 2/100ths of a monetary unit.
53 Allen Parker
54 infowolfe on irc.freenode.net
58 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list