From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing the distinction between UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED bugs
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 18:51:04
1 On Sat, Dec 3, 2022 at 2:09 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'd like to propose replacing the current UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED bug
6 > states with a simple NEW state. Why?
7 >
8 > 1. Only a handful of developers actually uses these two statuses
9 > in a meaningful way.
10 >
11 > 2. Some users are confused and demotivated by having their bugs stay
12 > UNCONFIRMED for a long time.
13
14 I think I could be counted among the devs who at least try to use the
15 two statuses. If I stumble upon bugs that I have run into myself, I
16 will flip them from UNCONFIRMED to CONFIRMED. On the opposite end, I
17 occasionally downgrade bugs from CONFIRMED to UNCONFIRMED if they are
18 particularly strange looking and were filed by a script (tinderbox).
19
20 Anyway, if you decide to make the change, please ensure that it
21 doesn't generate a bunch of pointless bugmail. I have noticed that
22 some devs will replace obsolete values in Product/Component without
23 making any other meaningful changes to the bug. Let's avoid that
24 situation if possible here.