From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 49 - take 2
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:10:37
1 On 22/05/06, Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o> wrote:
2 > Since Gentoo will never depend upon a
3 > piece of non-Free software[1], it is safe to assume that the package
4 > manager is Free software (aka open source). Because of this, we will
5 > never be locked-in, helpless, or under the control of an external
6 > project. If we dislike the direction in which it is going or want to
7 > add our own features, then we are free to do so either by submitting
8 > patches upstream, adding our own custom gentoo patches to the stock
9 > sources, or by forking the project entirely.
10
11 Exactly. It's the license that matters. By the definition some people
12 have used, Gentoo has no "full control" over the kernel, gcc, glibc,
13 or python, and yet still depends on them. While it might hurt some
14 people's pride to have a non-Gentoo controlled package manager, it
15 really is no different to Ubuntu using apt.
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list