From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package version requiring sse
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:46:33
1 On Thursday 25 August 2005 21:17, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 13:41 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 24 August 2005 15:23, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
4 > > > Same thing (and probably better option) if you put it in
5 > > > pkg_setup() ...
6 > >
7 > > Isn't pkg_setup run too when just building a binary package (-B)
8 > > (then the check shouldn't be performed), and just before installing a
9 > > binary package?
10 >
11 > True, but usually you build whatever on a machine that have
12 > capabilities to run it (not talking about cross-compiling). And
13 > besides, I think its bad style to build something, and then bail after
14 > its done about something that could have been tested at setup time
15 > (think glibc testing tls/nptl capabilities only during pkg_preinst
16 > ...).
17
18 That's a different issue. The best way would be for some variable to be
19 set that indicates that a package is going to be build for installation
20 on the current host and not in a ROOT environment (the latter is easy). I
21 agree though that testing afterwards is also not a good solution from a
22 user interface perspective, locking the building of packages for a
23 differnent host is also unwanted though. Alternatively we could also
24 agree on an environment variable name that would be set if these kinds of
25 checks should be overridden. People knowing what they're doing could then
26 just use this I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING flag and be off.
27
28 Paul
31 Paul de Vrieze
32 Gentoo Developer