From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:29:04
Hi All,

I just wanted to give you all an update on Gentoo Linux development.

General Notes

Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc4-pre2

As you probably know, Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc4-pre2 is on  This is
a test version that should be installed by all active developers.  When all
known quirks have been fixed, Achim will roll out a 1.0_rc4.  So far,
1.0_rc4-pre2 is looking a lot better than 1.0_rc3.  We're stomping on bugs
and Gentoo Linux is getting more and more refined.

1.0_rc4-pre2 is fully compatible with all modern Intel and Intel-compatible
processors, from the i486 on up.  While 1.0_rc4-pre2 is optimized for the
486, Achim plans to build several different versions of 1.0_rc4 optimized for
various processors.  1.0_rc4-pre2 has been tested on K6 systems and works
perfectly.  The problem we had with the K6 was due to some inline assembly in
glibc -- included based on the value of the HOST environment variable.  Since
we had the HOST set to i686-pc-linux-gnu, some i686-specific instructions
were included in glibc -- ones that the K6 didn't like.

Developer-specific Notes

Changelog Issues

Developers, when you update the ChangeLog (/usr/portage/ChangeLog), make sure
that you stick to our "standard" format.  Each package addition/modification/
deletion includes a single line in our standard format, followed on the next
line by a _mandatory_ developer user name, followed by optional line(s) of
comments and a blank line.  It's _not_ ok to do stuff like this:

new foo/bar-1.0
new foo/oni-2.0

You need to do this instead

new foo/bar-1.0

new foo/oni-1.0

sys-* layout

Achim and I have resolved how to determine what goes in the sys-* categories.
We are breaking with FreeBSD tradition by making the sys-* categories contain
_only_ a barebones, minimal system -- the minimal Gentoo system that can still
recompile itself, with a few exceptions.  Previously, what was included in
sys-* was more of a subjective thing, i.e. what I would like to see in a basic
Gentoo Linux server install, the tools I personally like, etc.

Rather than do this, we're going to be integrating some new functionality into
Portage that's going to be very, very nice and will allow everyone to have the
kind of "base" system that they like.  Portage will recognize your selection not
only at install time, but throughout the lifetime of your system, prompting you
to upgrade or add new packages when necessary.

ebuild design

Also, another semi-important note.  It is no longer necessary to define the "A"
variable in an ebuild.  Portage automatically determines the proper archive names
from the SRC_URI if present (and all current ebuilds are required to have valid
SRC_URIs.)  You can use "A" if you like, but leave it out if you prefer.

That's it for now.  Sorry for being a bit distant for the last few weeks --
I've been busy writing a bunch of new articles for IBM.  Now that I'm (nearly)
caught up, you should start seeing me more often.

Best Regards,

Daniel Robbins					<drobbins@g.o>
Gentoo Technologies, Inc.

Subject Author