From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Treeclean all maintainer-needed packages, was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-python/PyZilla: PyZilla-0.1.0.ebuild ChangeLog metadata.xml
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:05:35
1 Nirbheek Chauhan schrieb:
2 >>> I propose that we should be more aggressive about package.masking (for
3 >>> removal) all maintainer-needed packages from the tree by doing that
4 >>> one month after they become maintainer-needed. If someone doesn't
5 >>> volunteer to take care of it, it probably wasn't important anyway.
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >> Uhm no. The fact that nobody takes care of it doesn't necessarily mean
9 >> that the package is broken and that it should be removed
12 > I never said that such packages were broken. I'm saying that if no one
13 > wants to maintain them, they probably aren't needed by anyone, and we
14 > should clean such cruft from the tree.
15 >
16 > If they *are* needed by someone, then those folks should come forward
17 > to maintain it.
20 The only such package I would like to see go is net-misc/mDNSResponder.
21 And I am not convinced that having a maintainer listed in metadata.xml
22 makes the package automatically non-cruft, or that orphaned packages are
23 not at all cared about.
26 Best regards,
27 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn