From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] mask and force various profile specific USE flags
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 02:17:10
1 On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 16:42 -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6 > > On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:22:34 -0800 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
7 > > wrote:
8 > > | In order to do this, selected profile specific flags should be
9 > > | masked in the base profile and unmasked/forced in the specific
10 > > | profiles which they apply to. The unmasking is necessary because
11 > > | use.mask currently overrides use.force. USE flags suggested as
12 > > | candidates for masking/forcing include all USE_EXPAND flags derived
13 > > | from the USERLAND, KERNEL, and ELIBC variables.
14 > >
15 > > ...and ARCH, since it seems not all profiles mask all archs...
18 > Given the current single-inheritance profile structure and the way
19 > that many leaf profiles define an ARCH that is different from their
20 > parent profile, it will require ARCH masking/forcing in
21 > approximately 80 different individual profiles. I'm not sure if
22 > it's really worth it. When we start using multiple-inheritance, we
23 > can define ARCH specific profiles that those 80 different individual
24 > profiles can inherit their ARCH masking/forcing from.
25
26 We're (Release Engineering) trying to "use" them now. Since I took the
27 2007.0 snapshot, I have been working on replacing all of the 2007.0
28 profiles into a multi-parent version of said profiles. This includes
29 all of the required parents, such as base/default-linux/etc. While we
30 aren't planning on requiring using them for this release, I'm trying to
31 get them done and will be building some experimental stages based on
32 them. Depending on how easy it ends up being, we might just use them
33 for the release itself. They should be quite simple, at least for
34 "default-linux" and its children. I'm putting in everything that is
35 currently in the tree into my multi-parent profile group. Since I don't
36 have to make any changes to the current profiles, it can live
37 side-by-side in the tree with no adverse consequences, other than people
38 having make certain commits in two places until we phase out the old
39 profiles.
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
44 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
45 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
46 Gentoo Foundation