From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev <-> mdev
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:16:03
1 On 07/13/2012 04:04 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 05:58:25AM +0000, Duncan wrote
3 >
4 >> They're seriously thinking about (and may be planning on) removing
5 >> that option from the kernel entirely, to keep people configuring
6 >> their first kernels from getting themselves in trouble, but of course
7 >> that's now part of the kernel/userspace interface, so it isn't allowed
8 >> to just disappear like kernel/kernel interfaces can. At minimum
9 >> they'd likely have to have it on the deprecation and removal schedule
10 >> for awhile. (I've not checked to see if it's there already.)
11 >
12 > So what happens to people using mdev? Do we have to switch from
13 > Linu-x to Lenna-x?
16 mdev would need to switch to the netlink hotplug interface.