From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: jer@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:13:48
1 On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:32:37 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Nice capitalisation! Speaking of which, where is the US$ 1,000,000
5 > (ONE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS) you promised in your last e-mail?
6
7 Nice placement of the space behind the dollar sign! No money for you.
8
9 > Don't bother to file bug reports if you think a fully up to date
10 > system is not for you.
11
12 Where do we state to have a fully up-to-date system before filing a bug?
13
14 This in particular becomes interesting to do when the bug keeps you from
15 updating your system; or even further, rendering it non bootable.
16
17 We need to fix things such that people have a working system that they
18 can bring up-to-date; not the other way around, as that is pointless.
19
20 Automatic updates is a goal to pursue; well, at least if you want
21 everyone to have a fully up-to-date bootable system that can update.
22
23 > > Is there any option in emerge to pull MINIMUM packages to
24 > > get the result - install the application you need, leaving
25 > > everything else AS IS untouched and stable?
26 >
27 > RTFM.
28
29 Why do you point to a manual which does not document such feature?
30
31 > > If no such USE flag, what about stabilize
32 > > gentoo with STABILIZED flag implementation in make.conf?
33 >
34 > Next time, please bother the gentoo-user@ mailing list.
35
36 No. The gentoo-user@ ML can't do anything about a missing feature.
39 With kind regards,
40
41 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
42 Gentoo Developer
43
44 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
45 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
46 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D