From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving functionality out of portage and into the tree
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 04:45:42
2 Hash: SHA1
5 On Jul 30, 2004, at 10:15 AM, Jason Stubbs wrote:
6
7 > On Friday 30 July 2004 09:53, Brian Harring wrote:
8 >> For commentary above, I've assumed you're talking about bash
9 >> functionality- if you're referring to the scripts in bin/*, we've yet
10 >> to bundle those w/ an installed ebuild. Possible I spose, although
11 >> again, that falls under another thread/bug; it would be an extension
12 >> of
13 >> portage's env snapshot code, and wouldn't care about where it got the
14 >> scripts from, just as long as it could find them :)
15 >
16 > I assumed that, with the moving of most of bin/*, everything would go
17 > into one
18 > (or more) eclass(es). At least, that seems the most convenient way to
19 > me.
20
21 Viable for the bash based scripts, although my original plan had been
22 just to move them into the tree in their current form.
23 Changes down the line to how they are stored, eg- if they are kept as
24 they are, if they are stored in one giant script, if we have them
25 source as actual bash functions, etc, is a bit dependant on if the env
26 saving/restoring mechanisms are cleaned up. Until ebuild.sh correctly
27 preserves the env's attributes, and stop's overwriting portions of it
28 by default, I'd prefer to keep the scripts as they are.
29 Besides, the move is the big thing. With that out of the way, it's
30 upto the new herd to determine how it's arranged/handled (within limits
31 of course).
32
33 > Do
34 > you have a fairly clear view in mind of exactly what would stay and
35 > what
36 > would be moved yet?
37 For scripts, everything.
38 For bash functions, that's a bit trickier. Note, we don't have to move
39 *everything* in a giant exodus, things can be shifted out down the
40 line.
41 That said, these come to mind.
42
43 econf, emake, einstall, einfo, ewarn,
44 use, usev, use_enable, use_with,
45 pkg_pre*, pkg_post*, pkg_fetch, pkg_nofetch,
46 src_unpack, src_compile, src_install, src_test,
47 has, hasv,
48 enable_qa_interceptors, disable_qa_interceptors,
49 *opts functions,
50 *into functions,
51
52 That should *roughly* cover it. Once carpaski speaks up on this
53 (yay/nay), I can go through and build a final list.
54 ~brian
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list