From: "Bryan Østergaard" <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:55:15
1 On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 08:35:40PM +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:03:29 -0700
3 > Chris White <chriswhite@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Ok, but most "active contributors" are people that submit ebuilds to
6 > > devs and know nothing about the structure/policy/whatever about
7 > > ebuilds. If you're not a dev, you're probably not going to worry
8 > > about revision bumps. If you're a dev without alternate arches,
9 > > you're probably not going to know about how other arches can get
10 > > screwed by improper pic handling.
11 > >
12 > > To conclude, active contributors are generally in a focused
13 > > environment. The quiz is there to help show them the global way of
14 > > handling things.
15 >
16 > That problem can be solved by giving new developers access to a
17 > 'sandbox' branch of the tree, and have a more experienced dev merge
18 > their changes into the live tree having checked them for sanity. Once
19 > they've proved themselves there, they can be given access to the main
20 > tree if appropriate.
21 >
22 > Of course, this relies upon using a VCS for the tree that handles
23 > branches and merging sanely, which should be doable with Subversion if
24 > the issues it had last time this was tested have been or can be
25 > resolved.
26 > --
27 This solution also needs experienced developers with lots of free time
28 on their hands.. And try as I might, I can't think of many people that
29 fits that description.
30
31 Regards,
32 Bryan Østergaard