From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2017 21:26:11
1 On 02/09/2017 12:59 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 02/09/2017 03:41 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >> That's a great question. Based on a cursory look at make.conf's manpage,
4 >> USE_ORDER without 'pkginternal' will ignore IUSE defaults as intended.
7 > This has already been suggested like five times =P
8 >
9 > So long as people insist on using IUSE defaults for flags that are
10 > critical to the package and to satisfy REQUIRED_USE (sprinkled liberally
11 > throughout the tree), this won't work. You'll turn off the defaults that
12 > are critical, too, and throw a wrench into dependency resolution.
16 (Just noticed that after I finished reading the thread; d'oh)
17
18 Hm, good point. A good number of us are against REQUIRED_USE (I don't
19 feel strongly either way), and I'm really not sure why we have packages
20 that won't work at all without specific USE flags. Now that I've read
21 the entire thread I see someone mentioned different arches may need
22 different USE flags, but that seems like something that belongs in the
23 profile, *if* it's a profile problem.
24
25 I'd be happy if REQUIRED_USE conflicts were handled in one of two ways:
26
27 1. emerge throws it up in your face and suggests a change (defaulting to
28 whichever IUSE has a +), which can then be handled with etc-update
29
30 or
31
32 2. emerge prompts you to choose a flag from the ones listed in
33 REQUIRED_USE, obeys it, then does #1 so you can etc-update after merging.
34
35 The downside to this is it's yet another function to add to emerge. I'm
36 not sure how else we can make use of REQUIRED_USE while simultaneously
37 allowing people the choice to not care. Could an eclass do this reliably?
38 --
39 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
40 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
41 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6