From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:54:44
1 On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 16:27:54 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 > > This is why stabilisation, if not for individual package maintainers on
4 > > amd64, has become a joke, save for Ago's efforts, and recent efforts by
5 > > kensington to streamline the effort for the likes of ago with his bot,
6 > > and one or two other arch stabilisers (who I know exist, but not by name
7 > > or nick).
8 >
9 > Sure. If nobody is maintaining stable keywords on an arch, then there
10 > shouldn't be stable keywords on that arch, unless the stable keywords
11 > are used for a different purpose and maintainers are free to downgrade
12 > them at any time.
13
14 I'm confused, again. I can't find any official policy regarding
15 dekeywording packages from stable to testing.
16
17 Can developers remove packages from stable on whim or only on
18 certain conditions? Under what conditions exactly? Should arch
19 teams be notified on such actions? Or even requested permissions
20 from?
21
22 IMO a valid reason to remove from stable is arch team failure to
23 stabilize this package for a long time. But how long? Month, two,
24 half a year?
25
26 What to do with reverse dependencies? Should they be dropped to
27 ~arch altogether with the package in question? Or should their
28 maintainers be given a warning before? How long to wait after?
29 One more month or two, another half a year?
30
31 Maybe I should move this discussion to the wg_stable ML, but
32 there are few people there and gentoo-dev has much wider coverage.
33
34 A well established arch -> ~arch policy should help to keep number
35 of stable packages sane and manageable for arch teams. A well
36 established policy of doing ~arch -> arch by devs themselves will
37 help to lower load on arch teams as well. So for everyone be happy
38 (arch teams by keeping them stable and manageable, devs by solving
39 stabilization requests in a sane time) we need good policies!
40
41 Best regards,
42 Andrew Savchenko