From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:10:58
1 Jason Stubbs wrote: [Mon Nov 07 2005, 06:37:10AM CST]
2 > So what's the point of the ChangeLog again? Move load from the CVS
3 > server and onto the rsync servers? (Don't answer that - just beating a
4 > dead horse ;)
5
6 *Grin* I'm going to answer anyway, since the answer isn't necessarily
7 obvious to everybody. Once upon a time, the expectation was that the
8 ChangeLog contained information about package modifications that would
9 be of interest to users, while the CVS log would contain info mainly of
10 interest to devs. Of course, that was when viewcvs accessed the live
11 tree, too. Since then, there seems to have been a consensus that the
12 CVS log should really be autogenerated from the ChangeLog, which itself
13 is created using ``echangelog``. My view is that the ChangeLog should
14 contain user-readable descriptions (although we also encourage some
15 useful jargon such as "version bump") of every change a package has
16 undergone, providing a fairly complete history for that package that is
17 much more readable than iterating through CVS diffs. Consequently, the
18 ChangeLog has far too much information to realistically serve as a
19 low-noise news source. (One could imagine tagging certain ChangeLog
20 entries as being particularly important, but that forces news to be
21 package based, and seems overly complicated, so please forget that I
22 ever brought it up.)
23
24 > I'm really just against having it in emerge, especially with the current
25 > suggestion of portage just doing a little bit of maintenance work for
26 > external tools and nothing else.
27
28 I'm not sure exactly what you're arguing here. Is it just that you
29 think that the news stuff should be a post-sync hook instead of being
30 triggered explicitly by "emerge"?
31
32 -g2boojum-
33 --
34 Grant Goodyear
35 Gentoo Developer
36 g2boojum@g.o
37 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
38 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76