From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Patrick Kursawe <phosphan@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:31:11
1 On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 12:22, Patrick Kursawe wrote:
2 > Presence of the "prelink" program is not enough. You also have
3 > to run it, which takes quite some time. I would not like to have
4 > it automatically run after each emerge...
5
6 The idea was to add it to FEATURES. Also, it would only prelink the
7 specific package that you just installed, so it would not take quite so
8 long. I still see tons of problems with that, especially in the form of
9 prelinking libraries. A newer version of a library would not only
10 require itself to be prelinked, but also any application which referred
11 to that library. This is a slippery slope and is easily dealt with in
12 binary distributions, but quite a bit harder to accomplish on a
13 source-based distribution.
16 Chris Gianelloni
17 Developer, Gentoo Linux