From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please use "eselect news" items!
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:26:27
1 On 25-06-2009 22:57:08 +0100, AllenJB wrote:
2 > As a user, I'd like to encourage developers to make use of news items
3 > (eselect news) for important changes. I find them much more noticeable
4 > than elog messages (which, while I have set them up so they get emailed
5 > to me, I admit I don't always read). I think they're also easier to go
6 > back and re-read later (not everyone knows how to dig out old elog
7 > messages).
8
9 Maybe we should make an option to have portage not notice you of new
10 news messages until you have read it to make the feature more popular.
11
12 I personally felt after the java-config news message that it's more of a
13 bugger than a help, since I have many systems, and on all of them I had
14 to read it to get rid of the "waiting news message".
15
16 And no, excluding them in the rsync sync is not the option, as I want to
17 be able to read them if I don't recall the details any more...
20 just my 2 cents why I am avoiding adding news messages these days
24 Fabian Groffen
25 Gentoo on a different level