From: Michael Jones <gentoo@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: proxy-maint@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 19:32:30
1 Hopefully some comments from a user / power-user are welcome on this topic.
2 Just my two cents, is all.
3
4 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:44 PM, NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
7 >
9 >> Hash: SHA256
10 >>
11 >> With all of the unclaimed herds and unclaimed packages within them, I
12 >> started to wonder what will happen after the GLEP 67 transition
13 >> finally comes to fruition. This left me with some concerns and I was
14 >> wondering what the community thinks about them, and some possible
15 >> solutions.
16 >>
17 >> There is a large number of packages from unclaimed herds that, at this
18 >> time, look like they will not be claimed by developers. This will
19 >> likely result in a huge increase in maintainer-needed packages (and
20 >> subsequent package rot). This isn't to say that some of these
21 >> packages weren't previously in a "maintainer-needed" like state, but
22 >> now, they will explicitly be there.
25 > Speaking as the dude who founded the treecleaners project...all things
26 > die. Even software. While some may yearn for a software archive (nee,
27 > graveyard!), I put forth that the gentoo-x86 tree is not such a thing. Do
28 > not weep for the unmaintained packages that will be cleaned![1]
32 >> A possible approach to reducing this is to adopt some new policies.
33 >>
34 >> The first of which is an "adopt-a-package" type program. In
35 >> functionality, this is no different than proxy-maintenance, however,
36 >> this codifies it into an explicit policy whereby users are encouraged
37 >> to step and take over a package. This obviously requires a greater
38 >> developer presence in the proxy-maint project (or something similar),
39 >> but, personally, I think that a stronger dev presence in proxy-maint
40 >> would be better for Gentoo as a whole.
43 > I'm not sure what concrete proposal you are actually making here. Sure I'd
44 > love for users to actually maintain the software that they want in the
45 > tree. How do we encourage such behavior?
49 An explicit message to the effect of "This package doesn't have a
50 maintainer, please help" would be a huge push for users like myself to
51 pitch in. I write small ebuilds for my own projects from time to time, and
52 occasionally copy official ebuilds into my own overlay to make changes. If
53 I knew that there was a project that I used that wasn't getting any
54 official attention, that would light a fire under any users with a similar
55 mindset to my own.
58 >> The second policy change would be that maintainer-needed packages can
59 >> have updates by anyone while maintaining the standard "you fix it if
60 >> you break it" policy. This would extend to users as well. With the
61 >> increased ease that users can contribute via git/github, they should
62 >> be encouraged to contribute and have their efforts facilitated to ease
63 >> contributions to whatever packages they desire (within the
64 >> maintainer-needed category).
67 > So how do user contributed changes land (the aforementioned proxy-maint
68 > team?)
72 This is the question that I wanted to address in my reply.
73
74 Prior to the Git migration, I would say "Yea, good luck there". But now
75 it's incredibly easy for users to submit a pull request on the github
76 mirror, or similar infrastructure.
77
78 I know that there has been a lot of debate on how to properly handle that,
79 and I'm not sure if there was a resolution to that debate. Assuming that
80 there was a resolution (Or will be), a hyperlink to an appropriate page for
81 pull requests (or similar mechanism) would drastically increase the number
82 of "regular users" who were willing to try their hand at contributing.
83
84 I think that, as a user, I'd recommend against asking people to file bugs
85 on bugzilla with ebuilds attached. It's intimidating how many thousands of
86 bugs there are, and new users might think that the bugzilla isn't actively
87 used (even though it clearly is). Hopefully that suggestion doesn't cause
88 too much bike-shedding.
92 >> Similar to the concept of a "bugday," coupled with above, an
93 >> "ebuildday" where users and devs get together so users can learn to
94 >> write ebuilds and for devs to work together to maintain packages that
95 >> usually fall outside their normal workload could prove beneficial to
96 >> the overall health of Gentoo packaging.
99 > We used to have bugday. I presume the person running it stopped. Feel free
100 > to start it up again.
104 >> Once again, these are just some random musings inspired by recent
105 >> events on the dev ML, and thought it might be worth discussing.
106 >> I've cc'd proxy-maint as a lot of this discussion is likely to involve
107 >> them, and would like them to put in their official opinion as well.
110 >> - --
111 >> NP-Hardass