From: Joe Bormolini <lordjoe@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] two suggestions (hpt370 woes)
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 23:42:48
1 On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:18:17 -0700
2 "Darren Twa" <twa@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > 2. This is more important. My system is one that has an onboard
5 Highpoint
6 > RAID controller (Abit KT7-RAID). In the install when you must chroot
7 after
8 > mounting the cd image I was unable to follow the instructions further
9 > because there were not devices for hard drives e,f,g,h only a,b,c,d. To
10 > install I was forced to move the drive I wanted to install to the other
11 > controller because I didn't know how to create the necessary devices at
12 that
13 > point. This just made the disk disappear and I had to install LILO
14 because
15 > Grub was totally lost.
16 >
17 > Thanks for Gentoo. It looks like the Linux I've been looking for.
18 >
19 > Darren
22 Ohhhhhhh boy :p I have a highpoint 370 controller on my mobo (epox 8k7a+)
23 and the RAID support is only present in the alan cox kernel releases. It
24 took some time before I figured out how to get the kernel I compiled to
25 boot the root image off the disk (lol... hint "rdev" and linuxdoc.org). So
26 when I did get it booting properly, I mounted devfs and hurrah there was
27 /dev/ataraid/disc0. The only way I got grub to install was from a bootdisk
28 - installing from linux seemed to mess up my array... YMMV :p I'm
29 proud to say that everything is running quite nicely now =) good luck!
30 Also keep in mind any /dev/hd(e,f,g,whatever) will NOT be the raid array
31 and WILL screw stuff up if you try to format it, write to it, etc.
32
33 --lordjoe