From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Let's redesign the entire filesystem! [was newsitem: unmasking udev-181]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:17:13
1 On 03/13/2012 07:54, James Broadhead wrote:
2
3 > On 13 March 2012 01:22, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
4 >> We should be working to getting rid of /usr and bring it all back into /,
5 >> then create temporary /usr symlinks to point programs in the right
6 >> direction. After all, /usr was originally for user data, not system data,
7 >> until someone cooked up /home (I don't know the full exact history here, so
8 >> feel free to correct me).
11 > I believe that the Art of Unix Programming* says that /usr was the
12 > result of the original UNIX 4MB hard disk becoming full, and that they
13 > chose /usr to mount a second one. Every definition since then has been
14 > an attempt to justify preserving the split.
17 Sounds like how a lot of UNIXy things came into being. This is why I think
18 /usr should be merged back into /, not the other way around. Although, both
19 approaches essentially achieve the same effect in the end, once you move
20 /etc and a few other bits, then point the kernel at "/usr".
23 Joshua Kinard
24 Gentoo/MIPS
25 kumba@g.o
26 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
27
28 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
29 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
30
31 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic