From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:06:49
1 On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 7:29 AM, Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 20:05:47 +0100
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > [snip]
8 >> You should consider taking like 1 or 2 hours of your precious time to
9 >> read about the use and meaning of various directories in the
10 >> filesystem.
13 > The FHS gives different meaning to directories than the systemd folks
14 > like it to be. Yes, it's unpleasant how far that sort of breakage
15 > already progressed. However, by definition software not adhering to the
16 > current standard is what is broken and not the other way around.
17
18 We have never aimed to be FHS compliant, so citing the standard is not
19 likely to persuade some.
20 We follow them where we think they make sense and ignore the parts we
21 think are stupid.
22 Just like PMS :)
23
24 -A
27 > There is nothing wrong with changing an old standard if there is a need,
28 > though until a new standard is approved / accepted there is no ground
29 > to change anything and breaking the current standard on purpose is plain
30 > stupid.
31 >
32 > Btw, do you happen to know what is going on with FHS-3.0 and why
33 > there are delays. Wasn't it supposed to be announced in summer 2011?
34 >
35 > Then do you happen to know a technical paper which actually discuss the
36 > advantage / disadvantages of changing the current standard. All I have
37 > read on this topic so far looks like propaganda material only or lists
38 > non arguments like "less top level directories".