From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:19:59
1 On Friday 18 June 2004 18:45, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > ...which would be fine, except that as an arch maintainer, I can tell
3 > you that the majority of problems we get are arch specific. It's not
4 > just because of endianness, 32 vs 64 and so on -- different archs have
5 > completely different versions of core libraries and toolchain
6 > components. For example, any gcc3.4 related bugs aren't an issue at all
7 > for x86 right now, but they are on amd64 and mips. Similarly, we all use
8 > different kernel headers, glibc versions and toolkit versions.
9 >
10 > (Sidenote to random spectators: no, we will not use the same version
11 > for every package on every arch. Down that path lies Debian.)
12 >
13 > Besides, if a package version is really that buggy, why isn't it in
14 > package.mask? The ~ keyword shouldn't be used for dodgy experimental
15 > releases, it should be used for packages which are candidates to become
16 > stable after a reasonable (package and arch dependent) period. If an
17 > ebuild is in the tree and not-*/.mask'ed, we consider it a fair target
18 > for going stable.
19
20 Sometimes it is the case that because of the state of the package or the
21 ebuild (missing features) you don't want to make a certain ebuild stable at
22 all. Or that you know that it could create problems not directly related to
23 the ebuild being bad. In any case from a maintainer viewpoint is is quite
24 anoying to have your judgement challenged under your fingers.
25
26 > Incidentally, it would be nice if stable keywording wasn't the domain of
27 > the package maintainers at all. That should be a job for arch teams,
28 > since individual package maintainers don't know the state of any given
29 > arch. Unfortunately, I don't think the x86 team is big enough to keep up
30 > with that kind of thing yet, given the number of packages keyworded for
31 > them...
32
33 Is there a x86 team?
34