From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers (Re: Packages up for grabs...)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:58:17
1 Inspired by the number of packages being unmaintained -- why not use
2 some of that bug bounty money to fix up the recruitment documentation
3 and maybe give the webpage a makeover? Marketing is a big part of the
4 problem.
5
6 1. Even MediaWiki (wiki.gentoo.org) looks better than www.gentoo.org.
7 That's impressive-bad.
8
9 People still think of Gentoo as a ricer distro that's broken all
10 the time, when in reality, it's one of the most stable. No one
11 would suspect that anything has changed, though, since the
12 homepage hasn't since before I could drink beer.
13
14 It makes the entire distro look unmaintained.
15
16 2. Nowhere is it actually spelled out how to become a developer.
17 Let's google "how to become a gentoo developer." This takes me
18 to...
19
20 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
21
22 which as far as I know, is complete bullshit. I should look for an
23 opening in the monthly newsletter? Really? Or in #gentoo-bugs?
24
25 3. Get off CVS for Christ's sake. Nobody wants to work with that. I
26 don't know how this fits into my bullet list, but it's important.
27
28 All three of those problems are boring and will suck to fix -- perfect
29 candidates for bug bounties.