From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Herds, Teams and Projects
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 00:33:47
1 Hi All,
2
3 Consider this both a rant and a GLEP pre-proposal. When we created the
4 idea of herds back in the day, there was a clear distinction between a
5 herd and a team (and a project). Over time, those definitions have
6 become blurry. I would like emphasise:
7
8 A herd is a group of like *packages*
9 A team is a bunch of people who share a common goal (sometimes to
10 maintain a herd of packages).
11 A herd is also a bunch of mindless beasts who follow each other.
14 To that end, it's been brought up that perhaps the metadata.xml files
15 are partly to blame, in that they imply that the package is maintained
16 by a herd. There is not maintainer-team listed, just a herd.
17
18 So, I would like to propose that we make this distinction clearer in the
19 metadata.xml files. I'm interested in thoughts that people have on
20 this, but please do cc: me in your response to be assured that I read
21 it.
22
23 Thanks,
24