From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About forcing rebuilds of other packages issue
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 17:56:43
El jue, 07-06-2012 a las 18:40 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh escribió:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 09:43:32 -0700 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote: > > I can imagine that ABI_SLOT operator deps will be a lot more popular > > than SLOT operator deps, since ABI_SLOT operator deps will accommodate > > the common practice of allowing ABI changes within a particular SLOT. > > You're missing out on a brilliant opportunity to encourage developers > put in a bit more work to save users a huge amount of pain here. >
Won't be possible to encourage developers to make that "bit" more work when that work is not so "bit". Of course, I understand there are probably some valid cases when situation can (and should) be improved, but I still fail to see the advantage of allowing parallel installation for glib, xorg-server... taking care their reverse dependencies simply need a rebuild to work with latest ABIs and, then, users should anyway need to remove that old slots once reverse deps are rebuilt against latest slot as we wouldn't support setups where people is lazy to rebuild and have, for example, x11 drivers built against xorg-server-1.9.5-r1 even having 1.11.2-r2 installed in parallel.