From: Todd Berman <tberman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving Portage Watch script
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:31:59
1 On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 13:57, Rafael Cordones Marcos wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I want to improve the current script that generates the Portage Watch section
5 > in GWN. The two problems I am focusing right now are:
6 >
7 > 1.- Listing the USE variables that were added or removed since a given date.
8 >
9 > I have been looking around Portage but I cannot find any ChangeLog where I can
10 > get this info. A /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc ChangeLog would be perfect!
11 > 2.- Differentiating between updated packages and new packages
12 >
13 > For this I think I can manage by looking at the last entry of the ChangeLog
14 > file and extracting the date from it. Example:
15 > /usr/portage/app-cdr/k3b/ChangeLog
16 >
17 > <file-contents>
18 > [...]
19 > *k3b-0.5.1 (1 Feb 2002)
20 >
21 > 1 Feb 2002; G.Bevin <gbevin@g.o> ChangeLog :
22 >
23 > [...]
24 > </file-contents>
25 >
26 > One more thing, are ChangeLog files in packages automagically generated from
27 > CVS or are they hand-edited by developers? If they are hand edited then I am
28 > going to find errors in the format. I mean that humans commit errors and, for
29 > instance, some dev can forget to write the "*" at the begining of a ChangeLog
30 > entry!
31 The Changelogs are created by a small script called echangelog, so its
32 pretty easy to handle :)
33
34 --Todd