From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o, sound@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:35:28
1 Hi everyone.
2
3 I'm the current maintainer for xmms and all plugins. As you all know
4 xmms is writen over GTK+-1. This toolkit is not supported by the
5 upstream like xmms. We have lot's of dead upstream plugins on portage
6 and this is a pain to maintain like xmms itself. You might want to look
7 at our patchset that contains fixes for 'millions' of bugs.
8 We have a few alternatives like audacious, gstreamer based players and
9 xine-lib players (did i forget anything ?). The problem is that this
10 players doesn't support a few audiotypes or plugins that xmms currently
11 does.
12 So i'm asking for a solution either remove xmms, move the maintainer for
13 anyone who volunteer or the sound herd.
14 My plans now is replace xmms for xmms2 (that i would like to take the
15 maintainership). Opinions ? Ideas ?
18 Gentoo Linux Developer
19 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list