From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] crossdev, distcc, and multiple toolchains...
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:26:34
1 * Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o> [04/07/10 15:33 -0700]:
2 > Does anyone have any suggestions about this?
3
4 Be aware that if you want to provide distcc for more than
5 one architecture, you can't handle it with one daemon. You
6 have to configure it so, that every architecture's distccd
7 listens on another port, as it has to point to the correct
8 toolchain-directory. But that could be handled very easily
9 by editing the conf.d-file and provide the path to the
10 architectures' toolchain and another port.
11
12 Another thing is autoconfiguration, as you should first
13 check the found distcc-host for it's installed toolchain.
14 Kugelfang and I recently had the fun with our iBooks running
15 distcc, that other x86-users at our Gentoo User Meeting LAN
16 used nmap to find distcc-hosts and also wrote them in their
17 host-file :-) No wonder that the big-endian doped code
18 wouldn't run on their machine...
19
20 Today I found in the distcc-ML-archive a 'sanity-check'
21 script [1], which sends to every host a snippet of C-code
22 and fails, if the target does not provide the same
23 toolchain. In combination with nmap, this looks like a good
24 start for a kind of automated distcc-host-search.
25
26 Regards, Lars
27
28 [1] http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2003q3/001301.html