From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't use UIDs and GIDs below 100 without QA approval
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 11:49:50
1 On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 6:34 AM Florian Schmaus <flow@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 11/11/2021 11.59, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > > We could:
5 > >
6 > > - Open some part of the range between 500 and 1000. For example,
7 > > 500..799, which would leave 200 IDs for dynamic allocation.
8 >
9 > +1, since I am not aware of any significant downsides doing so.
12 I will confess that 90% of the time that when I run into headaches due
13 to mismatching GID/UIDs it involves two different distros anyway. I
14 definitely see the value in standardization, and there is some value
15 in doing it at the distro level, but really most of the value would
16 come from doing it cross-distro.
17
18 Ultimately I think a big part of the problem is that the whole UID/GID
19 model in Unix is a bit broken. Of course that isn't going to change
20 anytime soon.
21
22 Probably still worth band-aid fixes for the time being.
25 Rich