From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Deadlines for next Python implementations
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 20:49:37
1 On Mon, Jun 1, 2020, at 15:27 CDT, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > 2020-08-01 Python 3.7 migration deadline
4 >
5 > After this date, we lastrite all remaining packages that haven't been
6 > ported. This gives people roughly two months, with a ping one month
7 > from now.
8
9 > [...]
10
11 > 2020-12-01 Python 3.8 migration deadline
12 >
13 > We lastrite all the unmigrated packages.
14
15 Most of the time (guess >99%) this "porting" simply consists of
16 "keywording" with the new python target, i.e., a one-line change in the
17 ebuild.
18
19 What about we "auto keyword" all remaining packages that have a
20 python3_6 target but lack the python3_7 target instead? Meaning, just
21 add the python3_7 value to the corresponding PYTHON_*TARGET.
22
23 Given the fact how little difference there is between python3_6 and
24 python3_7 this seems to be the appropriate, gentler approach here.
25
26 Same for python3_8.
27
28 Best,