From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New multi-qt scheme
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 13:44:05
1 Hi again,
2
3 Drobbins, Hallski and I just discussed this on IRC and decided that we can do
4 with just 2 qts installed - the latest 2.x and 3.x. They will live in
5 /usr/qt-x11-$ver and a symlink /usr/qt-x11-2 (or qt-x11-3) will be made to
6 the latest qt installed. All applications will build/run against that symlink.
7
8 Also, the qt-x11 ebuild will be separated into two: the second part will be
9 an app-doc/qt-x11-docs ebuid, which will install the manpages, documentaion,
10 examples and tutorials. This is because they take some time to compile and a
11 lot of space, and only devs (i.e. relatively few people) need them.
12
13 Notes and things I'm not sure about, please correct/suggest:
14 1. Perhaps the QTs should just install into /usr/qt-x11-{2,3} (no symlinks).
15 2. Drobbins wants the qt-x11 ebuild (and dir) to be renamed to plain qt. I
16 see no reasons for or against, except that I see no need to change an
17 existing ebuild's name. Still I don't mind.
18
19 Note: I think I'll do the same with kdelibs, in the sense that only the
20 latest 2.x and 3.x will be installed at the same time. These two changes
21 shuold reduce the amount of code in the eclasses to a minimum. How about that?
25 Dan Armak
26 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
27 Matan, Israel