From: Jonathan Callen <abcd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: multilib and the compatibility to singlelib
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:48:00
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > if you read FHS you'll see that both implementations are allowed. Gentoo isnt
3 > violating anything here. wrt LSB, who knows. there are a ton of things we
4 > dont follow with LSB.
5
6 Actually, at first, FHS says that any /lib<qual> would be allowed, but
7 it then goes into specifics in Chapter 6, Operating System Specific
8 Annex. Under the heading "/lib64 and /lib32 : 64/32-bit libraries
9 (architecture dependent)", it says, "The 64-bit architectures PPC64,
10 s390x, sparc64 and AMD64 must place 64-bit libraries in /lib64, and
11 32-bit (or 31-bit on s390) libraries in /lib."
12
13 >> The problem was that Gentoo's early amd64 implementation predated this
14 >> standardization, and we had chosen the other way. While we've defaulted
15 >> to lib64 for 64-bit libs for years, it has never been considered anything
16 >> but experimental to break the lib --> lib64 link. AFAIK stable
17 >> baselayout still doesn't get its libdir usage consistent, putting files
18 >> in one but actually calling them using the other path, and boot breaks in
19 >> various frustrating ways if lib and lib64 are not the same directory.
20 >> Openrc gets it better now, but I'm not sure it's all fixed either -- it
21 >> certainly wasn't last time I tried breaking the link.
22 >
23 > your "AFAIK" isnt useful. there are no open bugs about either version and
24 > people assume that it's doing the right thing.
25
26 Personally, I do have a ~amd64 Gentoo chroot with LIBDIR_x86="lib".
27 There is only one place that I've found that it is still broken, namely
28 one line in toolchain.eclass (patch attached). I've been meaning to file
29 a bug for quite a while now, but never got around to it.
32 Jonathan

toolchain.eclass.patch text/plain