From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Implicit system dependency
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:54:52
1 On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:05:03AM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 > > That's at most an argument that USE="-*" should be a theoretically valid
5 > > configuration. It does not mean that the setting makes sense for anyone.
6 > >
7 > > USE="-*" was maybe a reasonable idea before we had use defaults.
8 > >
9 > > Now, by setting USE="-*", you deviate from upstream defaults at random
10 > places
11 > > and pointlessly mess up the dependency calculations of python / ruby /
12 > > multilib / ... packages.
13 > >
14 > > Message to users- if you want a minimum set of useflags, start from the
15 > main
16 > > default profile of your arch. That's what it is for. Everything else,
17 > and you
18 > > sure get to keep the pieces.
19 >
20 > Agreed. If you want to turn things off, I would recommend starting your
21 > use with something like:
22 >
23 > USE="-foo -bar -bas ..."
24 >
25 > so that you turn off the specific things you want to turn off.
28 That's quite infeasible given the number of package-level defaults. It is
29 far easier to parse conflicts when I know anything that has been enabled
30 was explicitly enabled by myself,and not through random-maintainer-X's
31 preference. 3743 package-level defaults of 1474 USEs is just a few too
32 many. Starting with USE="-*" provides sanity. As has been said so many
33 times in this and related threads, if users wanted upstream's defaults, we
34 wouldn't be using a distro with USE.