From: Charles Lacour <Clacour@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo & fhs
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:04:07
1 >
2 >"Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under the
3 >/usr hierarchy."
4
5 Actually, by the logic stated in the FHS, you could put it under either /usr
6 (because you're the developer of the distribution), or under /opt (because
7 you're the local administrator).
10 >That sentence about "no subdirs in /usr" makes the situation difficult
11 for gentoo. /usr/local is for the local administrator so gentoo can't
12 install there, gentoo has a rule that only binary packages get into
13 /opt, but /opt is the only part of the filesystem that subdirs are
14 allowed in for individual packages according to the fhs. And you can
15 really understand why one wouldn't want to have gnome or kde installed
16 directly into /usr (which would be the only gentoo+fhs compliant solution).
17
18 >Can anyone lighten me up on why there should be no subdirs in /usr ?
19
20 I'm not privy to the inner workings of the FHS team's thinking, but from all
21 the stuff they've written, I'm pretty sure it was something like "Make all the
22 stuff WE deal with dirt simple and uncluttered, so we can specify a standard
23 easily". THEY probably wouldn't phrase it that way, mind you.
24
25 I've been spectacularly underwhelmed by the FHS. I suppose having a bad
26 standard is better than no standard, but there's a LOT of things I'd do different
27 (or suggest to them to do different) if it wasn't a fait accompli. (Beg pardon if I
28 botched the spelling on that last.)
29
30 I can see two possible outs to conforming to both the FHS and Gentoo's stuff.
31
32 Either use one of the existing subdirectories of /usr ("bin" and "lib" are about
33 the only two that make any sense) or create a new subdirectory, such as "apps".
34
35 I'd favor the latter, but I'm not entirely sure that you're allowed to create ANY
36 subdirectories under /usr. ( And if you're not, see my previous opinion about
37 the FHS...)
38
39 (If my email program makes super-long lines and/or stuffs in HTML junk, my
40 apologies ― I've looked hard and I have no control over it. (I'm at work and
41 not free to choose my email program.)