From: Stefan Schweizer <genstef@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] et_EE locale and language of error messages
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:43:49
1 Hi,
2
3 there are at least two problems with how portage currently handles locales:
4
5 - Firstly some packages fail to build with obscure LC_* settings
6 The continuous stream of et_EE bugs is annoying: http://tinyurl.com/jsqzb
7
8 - and secondly I get my gcc output in german when I have a german locale
9 set. This makes it really hard to report bugs or the bugreports are useless
10 for most developers that do not understand the language.
11
12 Those problems cannot be easily workarounded since portage does not use
13 LC_ALL and LANG settings from /etc/make.conf
14
15 I propose to have the portage build environment set the language to English
16 or LC_ALL=C by default. That would significantly reduce the bugs with
17 unreadable error messages+ solve all the et_EE bugs at once.
18
19 One problem could be that packages depend on LC_* to install the correct
20 language. But that is a real bug then in my opinion, because ebuilds should
21 only honour LINGUAS and not LC_* during build time. Those bugs should be
22 detected and fixed.
23
24 What do you think? LC_ALL=C in portage or not?
25
26 - Stefan
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list