From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] X.Org 7.1 is Stable
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:00:50
1 On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 22:16 +0200, Simon Strandman wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni skrev:
3 > > On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 17:28 -0600, Joshua Baergen wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> I also add that many, many bugs were fixed. To run Compiz using AIGLX,
6 > >> xorg-server must be build with the "aiglx" USE-flag. This is known to
7 > >> cause some EXA slowdowns (bug #147841).
8 > >>
9 > >
10 > > Just as an aside, this isn't needed for NVIDIA folks. All you need is
11 > > the masked beta (9625) nvidia-drivers, a couple settings in xorg.conf
12 > > (the drivers ebuild tells you what), then running compiz-nvidia.
15 > Are you sure? Nvidia + compiz requires aiglx too (If you don´t run it on
16 > xgl of course). But perhaps the patches isn´t needed to enable it?
17
18 I'm positive. Also, NVIDIA doesn't require AIGLX to run compiz.
19
20 http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77030
21
22 "Before running compiz for the first time, you should configure it to
23 your tastes. Again, there are several sites that cover configuring
24 compiz and its various plugins, so I will not cover that here. Note: an
25 exception is direct vs. indirect rendering: when using the NVIDIA
26 graphics driver, you do not need to use the --indirect-rendering option;
27 it limits the number of extensions exposed by the driver, disabling some
28 plugins (e.g. water)."
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
33 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
34 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
35 Gentoo Foundation